£25,000 over 3 years
Since 1987 Lewisham Youth Theatre (LYT) has provided free, high quality drama activities for Lewisham young people aged 8-24. Using theatre as a tool we provide pathways to improve the well-being and life chances of young people, many of whom are at risk of exclusion or slipping through the net.
We employ drama as a social intervention to help young people develop transferable life skills, raise their ambitions, increase their confidence and empower them to interact positively in their communities.
To help young people continue their personal development after completing specific projects we provide additional programmes including:
- Members’ Committee: Youth Board that consults on all aspects of LYT
- See Theatre: Trips to see professional theatre performances around London
- One-to-One Mentoring: for members aged 14+ who identify as facing particular disadvantage
- Qualifications/Accreditations: Bronze & Silver level Arts Award qualifications and AQA Unit Award Scheme accreditations
Starting in Autumn 2015, 120 young people each year will take part in:
- 3 x Performance projects: for ages 8-11, 12-14 and 14-19s – culminating in full-scale performances in a professional theatre
- Creative Traineeships: young people 16-19 not in education, employment or training (NEET) create and tour a play about difficult decisions young people face, engaging 120 additional Lewisham young people as audience members
- Drama Skills projects: ages 12-14
- Creative Life Skills projects: for NEET young people aged 16-19
- Social and Emotional skills project: for young people with mental health issues
Participants will benefit from LYT’s wrap-around services proven to increase retention and participation amongst our most disadvantaged members, with over 35% more now completing projects. These include one-to-one advice and guidance mentoring, help with referrals to other services, assisting with further education applications, CVs and job applications. In addition members can gain key leadership skills through LYT’s Members’ Committee and experience theatre trips.